Monday, August 31, 2009

"Isn't reason enough to prove how God moves through you"

I think a lot. I know, that sounds obvious. But I always have something unfolding in my brain, whether it's plans for a new story or blog entry or just my own mental conversation (not in a multiple personalities way, I promise.) I think that's why I'm attracted to a lot of the books/tv/music that I am, because there's usually a lot more going on than just what's obvious on the page/screen/in my speakers.

I recently downloaded Jason Mraz's live album "Selections for Friends." It's no secret how much I (and Lauren) love Jason. The album is mostly stuff that's on his studio albums, but there's a song he did called "God Rests in Reason" that I cannot stop listening to. Literally. I think I've listened to it at least 15 times today. The lyrics are partially taken from the poem "The Prophet" by Khalil Gibran. (Which I am now going to find a copy of to read.) I grew up in a very conservative Christian home, and though I'm certainly not as conservative as my parents, I still hold onto a lot of those things. So I find the lyrics to the song both uplifting and thought provoking. I love the whole thing, but this verse of the song is the one that's been catching my attention this evening.

Well, your children will not be your children
They are the daughters, the son of a beginning
They'll come through your womb but not be coming from you
They will be with you but they do not belong to you

You can give them your love but not your thoughts
'Cause they'll arrive with their own hearts

I just love how this expresses the idea of children being a part of their parents but being separate as well. We're all in that potentially awkward transition time where we're becoming full-fledged adults but still rely a lot on our families and I feel like this is such an interesting thing to really think more about.

So anyways, before I turn into an exhausted, crazed psuedo-philosopher, I will end this post. Today, I am grateful for words and music that make me think. And I am grateful for others being able to express my feelings in beautiful ways that I cannot.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE those lyrics. Thanks for sharing Kelli! How beautiful and true.

    ReplyDelete